The building was restored and the Nightingales and their children carried on running it till it was sold to Lovibond’s Brewery in 1919. The sale catalogue describes it as a “valuable Licensed Premises, stone, brick-built and slated, containing bar, tap-room, cellar etc., and a bakehouse, stable, cart shed and 2 piggerys”.
Since then The Queen’s Head has seen a succession of owners and landlords, some of whom, like the Gilberts, stayed, raised a family and became a huge part of village life. They retired in 1964.
The Queen’s Head has since been owned by a succession of individuals, before being sold to the brewery chain Hall and Woodhouse in 2012.
It is now in private ownership and a Free House once again.